Program Contact Information
Program Name: Valley Family Medicine Residency of Modesto
Program Director Name: Kathleen Kearns, MD, FAAFP
Program Coordinator Name: Jennifer Williams
Program Address: 1400 Florida Ave, Suite 102, Modesto, California 95350
Program Phone Number: (209) 573-6181
Program Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Total # of Residents: 36
Number of PGY-1 Slots: 12
Program at a Glance
Does your residency program share a hospital with other medical specialties or is it the only one? Unopposed
Program Setting: Suburban
Is your program working in a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model? No
Program Emphasis (select all that apply): Ambulatory Medicine,Behavioral Medicine,Community Medicine,Global Health,HIV Care,Inpatient Medicine,LGBTQ+,Obstetrics,Pain Management,Reproductive Health,Safety Net Medicine,Women's Health, Group care--diabetes and pregnancy. Addiction Medicine
Sponsoring Institution: Valley Consortium for Medical Education
Special Electives or Rotations (select all that apply): Ambulatory Medicine,Behavioral Medicine,Community Medicine,Geriatrics,Global Health,HIV Care,Inpatient Medicine,LGBTQ+,Obstetrics,Pain Management,Reproductive Health,Safety Net Medicine,Women's Health, Group care--diabetes and pregnancy
Which categories best describe your patient demographic? (select all that apply): White,Hispanic, Latino or Spanish Origin,Black or African American,Asian,Middle Eastern or North African
CAFP pays for first year resident dues (dependent upon completion of the application). Please indicate if your program pays for second and/or third year CAFP resident membership.
Both PGY-2 and PGY-3 dues
Program Highlights and/or Unique Curriculum Components (i.e. Fellowship Opportunities):
- We welcome diversity and stand for inclusion:)
- If caring for the underserved fuels you, come work at our Federally Qualified Teaching Health Center
- Might you fall in love with a certain sub-field of family medicine during your PGY1 year? You can choose an area of concentration and focus your elective activities in that area, such as women's health, HIV care, addiction medicine, global health, sports medicine.
- Care for patients in an innovative setting of group care (diabetes and prenatal care) and test your talents in facilitative leadership and being the lively moderator for peer-to-peer mentorship
- All residents complete MAT training and can get X waiver
- Top off your week with our inspiring Friday afternoon Rainbow clinic which offers much needed care for our local LGBTQ+ patients
- Weekly behavioral medicine wellness seminar and protected wellness time (1/2 day per quarter)
Mission-driven faculty who have dedicated themselves to working in our safety net setting for years to decades. We have 6 core faculty plus a behavioral core faculty who helps support wellness. Four of the faculty members practice obstetrics and provide coverage on Labor and Delivery 24-7 with OB-Gyn backup. Dedicated global health faculty mentor.
Modesto boasts excellent schools and variety of family activities. Agricultural area with crazy great fruit and produce in the summer and farmer's market almost all year around! Also has junior college and CSU in town for the university flavor. Two hours (or less) drive to points of interest: San Francisco, Monterey, Yosemite, Sacramento. About half of our residents are single, half partnered.
"American graffiti" cruising was based on Modesto. We have our own Class A baseball team.