Creating Opportunities for Productive Clinician-Patient Interactions During a Pandemic
CAFP is offering three accredited activities that focus on creating opportunities for productive clinician-patient interactions during this pandemic. Take advantage of the practical advice, tools and resources to help your patients with obesity – including the opportunity to practice what you’ve learned with a Standardize Patient and receive immediate feedback!
Activity One: Helping Your Patients Seeking Obesity Treatment: Coping with Negative Thoughts
- Participants will be able to recognize negative thoughts by patients seeking obesity treatment.
- Participants will learn how to use reframing reflections to help patients manage negative self-talk.
- Participants will learn to use CBT strategy for addressing negative thoughts by patients seeking obesity treatment.
- Participants will have increased knowledge regarding obesity’s impact on diabetes
Activity Two: Helping Your Patients Seeking Obesity Treatment: Effective Communication Strategies that Make a Difference
- Participants will learn and recognize the key components of shared decision-making encounters for patients seeking obesity treatment.
- Participants will identify best practices for risk communication when deliberating treatment options with patients seeking obesity treatment.
- Participants will learn the definition of decisional conflict and how to assess it.
- Participants will have increased knowledge regarding obesity’s impact on CVD
After participating in one or both of these two half-hour activities, learners will be invited to participate in a short “tele-session” with a standardized patient to “practice” your communication skills.
Activity Three: Let’s Practice Quality Care: Interacting with Your Patient with Obesity
The goal of this activity is to help patients with overweight and obesity develop a shared decision-making relationship with their care team.
This initiative also offers a great activity for your patients. We hope you take advantage of sharing this activity with the appropriate patients.
Activity Four: (Patient Education Activity): Rethinking Negative Thoughts for People Seeking Weight Loss Treatment: A Patient Coach Experience