Program Contact Information
Program Name: UHS SoCal MEC Family Medicine Residency Program
Program Director Name: Dr. Carrie Bacon
Program Coordinator Name: Christine Torre
Program Address: 31700 Temecula Pkwy., Parkway Stes. #2-GME, Temecula, California 92592
Program Phone Number: (951) 331-2527
Total # of Residents: 18
Number of PGY-1 Slots: 6
Program at a Glance
Does your residency program share a hospital with other medical specialties or is it the only one? Opposed
Program Setting: Suburban
Is your program working in a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model? Yes
Program Emphasis (select all that apply): Adolescent Medicine, Advocacy, Ambulatory Medicine, Behavioral Medicine, Chronic Disease Management, Community Medicine, Geriatrics, HIV Care, Inpatient Medicine, Leadership Development, LGBTQ+, Motivational Interviewing, Pain Management, Procedures, Reproductive Health, Sports Medicine, Women's Health, In addition to the above, we also offer required rotations in Cardiology, Addiction Medicine and Palliative Care, as well as various surgical subspecialties including Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Urology, and Ophthalmology. Our program partners with local satellite sites of Rady Children's Hospital of San Diego offering top-notch pediatric training for both inpatient and outpatient pediatrics. We also provide a Clinical Ultrasound (POCUS) curriculum integrated in Emergency Medicine, Wards, and ICU, as well as an elective opportunity for those wanting to further their knowledge, skills, and abilities in POCUS.
Sponsoring Institution: UHS Southern Californa Medical Education Consortium
Special Electives or Rotations (select all that apply): Adolescent Medicine,Advocacy,Ambulatory Medicine,Behavioral Medicine,Chronic Disease Management,Community Medicine,Geriatrics,Global Health,HIV Care,Inpatient Medicine,Leadership Development,LGBTQ+,Motivational Interviewing,Obstetrics,Pain Management,Procedures,Reproductive Health,Safety Net Medicine,Sports Medicine,Women's Health, All required rotations may be taken as electives, including Addiction Medicine, Palliative Care, and Clinical Ultrasound (POCUS). In addition, we offer electives in the medicine specialties of Neurology, Nephrology, and Gastroenterology. Pediatric subspecialties and developmental health electives are offered through a partnership with local satellite clinics of Rady Children's Hospital of San Diego. For those interested in aesthetic services, we also offer a combined general surgery and aesthetics elective. Sleep medicine is also offered, as well as dedicated research time. As a new program, we are flexible with creating desirable electives to help meet our residents' training needs.
Which categories best describe your patient demographic? (select all that apply): White,Hispanic, Latino or Spanish Origin,Black or African American,Asian,American Indian or Alaska Native,Middle Eastern or North African,Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
CAFP pays for first year resident dues (dependent upon completion of the application). Please indicate if your program pays for second and/or third year CAFP resident membership.
Both PGY-2 and PGY-3 dues
Program Highlights and/or Unique Curriculum Components (i.e. Fellowship Opportunities):
- We are a new ACGME-accredited, innovative community-based program motivated to improve and adaptable to meet the needs of our residents.
- Serve Southwest Riverside County; an area with a diverse community in high demand for primary care physicians.
- Holistic patient and family-centered care delivered in innovative ways to improve patient and population health outcomes.
- Continuity clinic allows residents to manage a diverse patient panel longitudinally in a patient-centered medical home model.
- Inpatient facilities nationally recognized for quality and specialized care.
- Resources and research support through our academic affiliation with Western University of Health Sciences.
- Fellowships in development include Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Sports Medicine.
- Train in supportive environment by outstanding faculty eager to support you and your success!
- Innovative care delivery utilizing primary palliative care, technology, community engagement, group and home visits to improve patient and population health outcomes.
- Resilience and wellness program to support and sustain your joy in practice!
Our faculty are experienced community-based Family Medicine physicians who have been practicing in the area for many years. They each bring unique expertise to the program to help broaden and strengthen the training experience. See our faculty profiles at: https://socalresidency.com/programs/family-medicine/faculty-and-instructors/
Southwest Riverside County is one of the fasting growing communities in greater Riverside. Temecula is famous for its wine country and annual Balloon and Wine Festival. It has all the luxuries and culture of a large city with a small town community feel. Temecula's school district is fantastic and boasts standardized test scores well above national averages. Old Town Temecula is great to visit on a Friday evening with its world-class dining establishments and entertainment. Temecula is also within an hour driving distance to beaches and larger cities in Orange and San Diego Counties. Neighboring cities to Temecula, including Murrieta and Wildomar, offer similar benefits with even more affordable housing and cost of living. All and all, the area is a great place to raise a family and establish roots. It holds tremendous potential for opportunity and growth.
- The residency received ACGME accreditation in February 2019. We had 3 weeks to interview our first class, and we fully matched our 6 spots without having to go through SOAP!
- Our first class welcomed their first baby into the program family within 4 months of starting the program. We are now expecting three more babies this year!
- Procedure clinic half days with Dr. Im routinely have around 8 procedures scheduled in a half day, including vasectomies, circumcisions, and many dermatologic procedures.
- Our GME suite is made of walls with dry erase capability; residents frequently express their funny and artistic sides on our walls.
- Residents are provided dedicated wellness time (and a budget) every month. Activities have included painting and rock climbing. This month, one of our PGY2s held a barbecue to welcome our new PGY1s.